Thursday, December 3, 2009

Leave the World a Better Place




They grow up so fast! How many times did we hear that expression when _we were the children? I remember my parents saying this to my aunts and uncles and now, its my turn. This year, my beloved nephew turns sixteen. He plays hockey, he's over six feet tall! How did that happen? Wasn't it just yesterday I was tying his shoe laces and taking him to see the "Knights in Shining Armor" at the Cleveland art museum? My niece, my darling, funny little niece with her very, long hair and chatter-box manner. She was the feather-weight that I carried in one arm as we walked into the big, snowy woods to share our first great adventure. Where did she go? I turned my back for just one second and a young woman appeared in her place. Technically she's still a kid - but at twelve she has now helped me to whelp two litters, taken three cross, country road trips with me and has successfully trained two of my horses.

I'm proud of the kids in my life but I demand to know what happened to those sweet little children that I used to know!

As we get older, we begin to mark time. Who knew? In my 20's and 30's the days flew by and I never noticed. If I lost an entire day or week, it was no big deal - tomorrow sprang eternal. Now I know. Time is more precious than gold, slipping right through my fingers. I can not grasp it. There is nothing that I can do...except enjoy the ride.

Wasn't it just yesterday I welcomed my sister's kids into this world? Clay was a month old when I saw him for the first time. He smiled up at me from his crib and our eyes connected and for one glorious moment - time stood still. What will that kid be when he is grown? Not even he knows, but I'm certain he'll add goodness to the world. The first time I met Caleigh, she was crying in her mother's arms. Silly me was afraid to hold her - I thought, "What if I don't love her as much as I do Clay?" One look into that beautiful round face was all it took to wash away my fears. With tears of joy running down my cheeks, I kissed her and for one brief moment, she was silent long enough to meet my gaze. With her little hand, she reached up and tweaked my nose and in that one second, I understood the nature of the ever-expanding heart.

The kids, my horses and my dogs, we are all connected. When I was young my mother used to tell us, "Always leave the world a little better than when you found it." Whatever they choose to do with their lives, I know they will fulfill the Smithwood code of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment